PATIENT CARE ATTENDANT, FORENSIC PSYCHIATRIC REHABILITATION UNIT - #8990671
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Services
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Centre is seeking a Patient Care Attendant (PCA) to work in our Forensic Program. The position being recruited for is within the Forensic Program which consists of a Secure Forensic Service, a General Forensic Service, and a Forensic Outpatient Service. The Secure Forensic Service, which consists of 3 units with a total of 62 beds, provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by the courts or the Ontario Review Board (ORB) and who require accommodation at a higher security level. The General Forensic Service, which consists of two 25-bed units, provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by courts or Ontario Review Board (ORB) and who require accommodation at a lower security level. The Forensic Outpatient Service provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by the courts or the Ontario Review Board (ORB) who reside in the community.Reporting to the Clinical Manager, the PCA’s responsibilities include:
- Log patients in and out with Meditech ensuring detailed clothing, designation, check in times, correct level and occurrence number
- Ensure orders are active and accurate
- Monitor Door Activity
- Take check in calls from patients and document any problems
- Fill sign in and out binder with new sheets ensuring they are labeled, and file appropriately in file cabinet.
- Gather once a month all documentation from file cabinet and sort by date and order needed for HIM and send to HIM in the gold bag
- Assist patient with condition level information
- Report and Document any information witnessed
- Inform Ward Clerk of supplies needed (ex. Sign in and out forms, Itinerary’s)
- Unofficial: ensure patient’s are asked to do their menus
- Assist and provide patient’s with their belongings needed prior to them leaving the unit.
Please Note: Although the current vacancy is for the Forensic Psychiatric Rehabilitation Unit (FPRU), all Patient Care Attendants must have the ability to work in any area of the Forensic Program based on staffing needs.Qualifications Required and Preferred
- Personal Support Worker diploma.
- Current CPR Level Health Care Provider (HCP)
- Demonstrated knowledge of patient care skills and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
- Demonstrated ability to assist staff in providing personal care to patients and observe and report changes in patients’ condition and behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of hospital security and safety procedures.
- Proven excellent interpersonal and effective oral/written communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving and conflict resolution abilities.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
- Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
- Must be able to work shifts (please note, part time employees who are scheduled through the CSSO will be expected to commit to shifts for a minimum of two weekends per six week schedule
Closing Date 12/7/2022 Ontario Shores is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all of our patients, staff, and community, and as a result, has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy in accordance to the Government of Ontario’s directive around mandatory vaccination policies. All new hires must be fully vaccinated (two weeks post second dose) prior to starting employment with Ontario Shores (note: those seeking a medical exemption or an exemption related to a Human Rights Code Ground must provide documentation for approval). We are dedicated to promoting the safety and well-being of patients, employees, and visitors by raising awareness of the harmful impact of tobacco use and eliminating second-hand smoke exposure and triggers. Tobacco, cannabis, and the use of electronic cigarettes (vaping) are not to be used or visible on Ontario Shores property, including parking lots and walking paths. As such, Ontario Shores is a Tobacco-Free Organization Personal information you provide to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is collected pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act R.S.O 1990, c. P.40. It will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. At all times it will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Leader, Privacy & Access at 700 Gordon St. Whitby, ON L1N 5S9; 905-430-4055 ext. 6712 or refer to the Privacy & Access pages on the Ontario Shores website. Upon request, individual accommodation can be provided to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job descriptions, and have been invited for an interview. For questions and concerns, please contact Human Resources at 905.430.4055 ext. 6191. Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer Ontario Shores is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. Ontario Shores is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.