Indigenous Patient Navigator - #8990743
Vancouver Coastal Health
Work Site: Indigenous Health
Status: Start Date: Hours:
Regular Part Time As soon as possible Rotating: 0800-1600/1200-2000 (M-F) and 0900-1700 (Sat/Sun/Stats)
Salary: $33.35 - $47.94 per hour
Come work as an Indigenous Patient Navigator with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Indigenous Patient Navigator to join the Indigenous Health Patient Experience team. Apply today to join our team!
Vancouver Coastal Health is committed to improving the health and access to culturally safe healthcare of the Indigenous people in our region, and we recognize that we all have a contribution to make in reconciliation and healing. VCH’s Indigenous Health team works with staff and physicians across all programs and departments to provide strategic leadership, partner collaboration and community engagement to assist VCH to become a more culturally competent and safe organization.
As an Indigenous Patient Navigator with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Be accountable for providing day-to-day health system navigation support to create safe people, places, and systems for Indigenous clients and their families of Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH).
- Liaise with clients and primary care teams who provide direct client and family support, to ensure their successful access to primary care and community-based health care services.
- Be responsible for ensuring that patient care occurs in a culturally safe and respectful manner by people:
- connecting with clients and families to offer support,
- helping clients and families voice their questions or concerns to the primary care teams,
- offering traditional culturally safe resources that compliment current healthcare regimes,
- mitigate potential complaints by acting as a conduit between client and care team through presence, communication, approach, and understanding.
- Liaise with a variety of Indigenous community based agencies.
- Inform and influence program development, planning and evaluation of services for Indigenous clients through the patient experience process of navigating the healthcare system. Key partnerships are with the Indigenous Health Program, interdisciplinary VCH health care providers, and VCH leadership.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in health care, Social Work, Nursing or related discipline.
- Two (2) to three (3) years’ recent, related experience working with Indigenous communities in British Columbia.
- Preference will be given to candidates of Indigenous ancestry.
- Valid BC Driver’s License as travel within the health authority is required.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of community-based Indigenous organizations in British Columbia.
- Extensive knowledge of health issues impacting Indigenous communities.
- Broad knowledge of Indigenous and non-Indigenous services and resources currently available within Vancouver Coastal Health’s (VCH’s) Health Services Delivery Areas (HSDA’s) for Indigenous clients in need of health and social supports.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with cultural issues sensitively.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and maintain collaborative working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated intermediate skill with operating wordprocessing, spreadsheet, and database programs.
We are striving to build a diverse team that has lived experience with Indigenous communities. Strong preference will be given to applicants who self-identify as Indigenous.
It will greatly assist us with screening if you refer in your application to your Indigenous identity. Recognizing the impacts of colonization on Indigenous people, it is your choice whether to volunteer information. We will hold your application in strictest confidence, sharing it only with the hiring panel.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve, and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.