Publications Assistant - #8991313
The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (“CLEBC”) is the BC legal profession’s preferred source for education and publications. CLEBC is a not-for-profit society that derives all of its income from the sale of courses and books. With more than 80 live and online courses each year, and an online and print library of more than 50 books, we support BC’s 12,000 lawyers in all aspects of their practice.
We have an immediate opening for a Publications Assistant. The Publications Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting the production team with book production: primarily taking revised book material from Legal Editors and Copy Editors and inserting the revised material in the production content management system, including adding appropriate tags and attributes to the material. The Publications Assistant communicates closely with Production Coordinators and the Production Manager on a regular basis. Attention to detail, the ability to follow a logical process, time management, and the ability to work with a variety of technologies is required.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Inserts all revised and new book content into the DITA CMS, adding appropriate XML tags and metadata
- Captures images, maintains a master file library for book forms and precedents including a record of where forms and precedents appear in multiple books
- Proofs final book content as required
- Prepares a PDF version of the book for print and an HTML version for online
- Prepares the forms and precedent content for the CD that accompanies the print book
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and education:
- A detail-oriented and problem-solving approach to work
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a collaborative team
- Adaptability to changing technology and ability to learn DITA XML mark up in a DITA XML CMS, a case and legislation database, and other publishing applications
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with Word and Excel; knowledge of Great Plains software an asset
- Ability to type a minimum of 50 wpm
- Experience/familiarity with the legal industry is an asset.
This is a full-time, permanent position.
Due to COVID-19, our employees are working remotely.
CLEBC is committed to equity and diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities or expression. CLEBC hires on the basis of merit; all qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
CLEBC offers competitive compensation and extended health benefits in a collegial and professional environment. If you are interested in the position, please provide a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by November 30, 2022.