Adult Education Instructional Assistant - English/Humanities - #8997134
School District #39 (Vancouver)
Teach in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
** Adult Education English/Humanities Instructional Assistant **
Hours: 12:30 pm - 7 pm Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays
12:30 - 5:30 pm Thursdays
Duration: January 3 - April 20, 2023
Location: Gathering Place Learning Centre
Adult Education provides youth/adult students with educational opportunities from Foundations-level courses to secondary school completion. We offer a variety of learning formats which include: structured Foundations courses (basic literacy through Grade 10 equivalency); structured academic Grade 10, 11 and 12 as well as personalized, self-paced courses at the Foundations and Grade 10, 11 and 12 levels. Courses at the Foundations level develop core skills which prepare students to enter the Grade 10, 11 and 12 courses needed to obtain either the regular or the adult Dogwood Diploma. All courses follow prescribed Ministry of Education curriculum.
Instructional Assistants work with teachers to support student learning in a wide variety of subjects. Some knowledge of Foundations Math/Science is an asset.
Undergraduate degree in English/Humanities
Successful experience in tutoring youth and adult students on an individual or small-group basis
Ability to tutor students in academic English/Humanities courses at the Grade 11/12 levels
Experience with Moodle is an asset
A combination of education and experience providing support to students and staff using technology in self-paced and structured courses
Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written
Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
Your application must include:
Contact information for three supervisor references (phone numbers and email addresses)
- The VSB has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VSB seeks to preferentially hire Aboriginal persons to a variety of teaching positions. Therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether they self-identify as an Aboriginal person.
Due to the confidentiality of the interview process, we do not provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application.
If we are interested in moving forward or if an application requires additional information we will contact you directly.
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Register on Make a Future: http://www.makeafuture.ca/ and create a profile under the Category "ECE, EA and Support Staff"
2. Click on Job Postings the click Search
3. Select a job that you are qualified for
4. Answer the job posting questions then Apply
5. Upload supporting documents
6. Once you submit your application you will receive a confirmation email from Make a Future