Arena Service Worker 1 - #8997814
City of Richmond BC
Arena Service Worker 1
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
This is combined operational, maintenance and janitorial work performed in a year-round multi-purpose sports arena. Performance is reviewed by a superior for technical adequacy, conformance to established practices and ability to meet time schedules.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor refrigeration plant, perform plant checks regularly and log readings.
- Log and report any changes, issues or maintenance.
- Janitorial duties such as maintaining appearance and cleanliness of change rooms, showers, washrooms and lobbies; sweep and mop, vacuum, disinfect, garbage removal and rink/lobby glass. Recording work completed
- Perform mobile equipment checks and minor maintenance including blade changes.
- Installing and maintaining ice surfaces using various hand and power tools.
- Safely operating ice resurfacer for regular ice cleans and general ice maintenance.
- Minor rink board and gate repairs including advertising installation.
- Various maintenance duties such as changing fluorescent lamps, minor plumbing repairs on sinks, toilets and showers,
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in ice-making and refrigeration operations.
- Knowledge of the materials, methods, tools and equipment used in janitorial and building maintenance work.
- Knowledge of and ability to resurface ice, change blades, and maintain resurfacer.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System).
- Skill in the use and care of a variety of tools and equipment used in the work.
- Ability to use and maintain Personal Protective Equipment (including wearing a properly fitted respirator).
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations governing the operation of the arena during public sessions, adult and youth user group sessions.
- Ability to use computer and smart phone apps for communication, scheduling, plant control and record keeping.
- Ability to learn and perform new processes and procedures to maintain operating standards as the Arena industry changes.
- Ability to operate ice-making, refrigeration, and resurfacing equipment.
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled building maintenance, and minor repair tasks and to perform routine janitorial duties.
- Ability to work without supervision on an assigned shift.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and the public.
- Ability to courteously and effectively communicate with patrons.
- Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with groups and individuals to ensure observance of facility rules and regulations.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and action in accordance with established practices and procedures.
- Ability to successfully pass a Police Information Check.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent with a minimum of 1 year of experience in an Arena supplemented by courses in ice-making and refrigeration; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Completion of Refrigeration Operator course is preferred.
Additional Information:Employee Group: CUPE Local 718
Position Status: Auxiliary
Duration of Appointment:
Salary Range: $28.19 - $33.14
Hours of Work: Varies
Application Posted: 11/24/22
External Closing Date: 12/11/22